At the turn of the last century, America's prominent families created great retreats in Newport, Bar Harbor, and The Berkshires. These mansions and estates were designed so that families could leave the chaos of the city and come together in gorgeous settings. The Carnegies, the Vanderbilts, the Morgans, the Winthrops and others came to the Berkshires and created a flourishing community. In the mid-1980s, eight of the most prominent and beautiful estates were designated by Lenox as its "Great Estates." Seven of them are now beloved institutions that are enjoyed by hundreds, if not thousands, of guests each week. One of them, Ethelwynde, has been restored to its original use as a single family home and is now a private retreat on more than forty acres with its own bridle trails, towering old Beech trees and some edible landscape. More recent updates include WiFi, air conditioning, outdoor BBQ and fire pit, and elegantly appointed bedrooms. This Berkshire "cottage" contains tastefully renovated bedrooms, each with a unique feel, as well as great spaces for family to gather: a conservatory with gorgeous views for meals, a music room for family group socializing, a classic wood-paneled library for fireside chats, and a game room for ping pong, etc. The beautiful mansion rests on a hill overlooking a great lawn and Yokun Ridge.
This property is available to rent starting July 1, 2019 or August 1, 2019. Two week minimum is required.
- Ethelwynde's interior is an incredible restoration of the original Braem-Lindsley Mansion. With original hard wood flooring, rare wood paneling, carved marble hearths, ornate oriental rugs and history at every turn, the building is truly a marvel. Bedrooms and social spaces alike, every detail has been molded with history in mind.
- This Berkshire "cottage" contains seven tastefully renovated bedrooms, each with a unique feel, as well as great spaces for family to gather
- From the spacious foyer to the music room, library, dining room and conservatory, Ethelwynde's first floor is an elegant example of Gilded Age style. Original mantles, rare wood paneling, gorgeous rugs, statues and exquisite furniture can be found in every room. With over 4000 square feet of space, these areas are perfect for memorable family gatherings.
- In the spring truckloads of trees are planted, the verandah beds updated, and new grass seeded, adding to an already spectacular ensemble of gardens, historic trees, woods and open spaces.
- For over 100 years, the Berkshires have been a mecca for travelers from all over the world. From the fresh air of The Appalachians to the cultural centers of Tanglewood, the Clark Art Museum, Jacob's Pillow and many more, it's easy to see why so many people keep coming back.
Interior (More Info)
Exterior (More Info)
Utilities (More Info)