Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in one of LandVest’s properties? We invite our owners to tell us about their experience, what they love about their homes and their history. The owners of 52 Waterview in Colchester, VT share how they found their ideal location and what they love about their home on Lake Champlain.
The Creation Story
On a family sailing vacation, we sailed into this lovely bay one afternoon and anchored for the night. Within minutes, someone rowed out furiously to explain they feared where we’d anchored was on their drinking water line. Not so, but we moved anyway, invited him aboard and several bourbons later, we learned there was a lot for sale – a prime one at the edge of the big meadow. The following year, my parents built their retirement home, looking across the meadow, right at Camel’s Hump. Dad’s boat was anchored in the front yard, and Mom’s favorite tennis courts were down the lane.
This is a private enclave, 15 minutes from Burlington (The University of Vermont, UVM Medical Center, Burlington International Airport, tech hot spot, great restaurants, craft breweries), 2 hours from Montreal (fun, easy day trip), 4 hours from Boston, and one hour to ski at Stowe, Sugarbush, Smugg’s. Twelve neighborhood families each own their respective lots, and collectively own 73 acres, 1800 ft of waterfront, 2 tennis courts, boat docks, swim docks, several miles of hiking trails and one of the best anchorages and cliff lookouts on the lake. The state land-use program preserves the 59 acres of common land as well as each family’s clear views of the meadow, the lake, the islands, and the mountains. It’s a special place, a unique community of people and a fine spot for healthy, outdoor living.
The House at 52 Waterview
My family built the original house in 1966, added to in 1984, and updated and renovated it almost continuously since. Energy efficient, bright, open, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, lake-view kitchen and dining room, deck, screen porch on 0.89 acres with established gardens make for a cozy feel in an outdoor paradise. Oak floors, custom butternut woodwork, maple kitchen, fireplace, soapstone wood stove and a new, tiled master bath add attractive comforts in a country place. The full basement, garage, wood and storage sheds make for practical, easy Vermont living….and a place for toys.
The Favorite Spot
It depends on the season. In winter, it’s the living room, with this lake view, drink in hand in a comfortable chair with the woodstove going, after cross-country skiing, or a skate on the lake.
The gazebo is the neighborhood gathering spot for “thirsty Thursdays.”
This neighborhood, the Malletts Bay Club, was founded in 1908. As a Vermont Corporation, the families share responsibilities and community governance, owning shares of the neighborhood.
The Five Things to Love Most
- It’s a quiet, lovely country place, with a beautiful meadow, and stunning views.
- 52 Waterview is spacious and open, cozy and bright, well-equipped for comfortable living. You can make it your own – but I’m done with mine.
- The light around this lake is magical – sunrises, sunsets, afterglow, moonrises – all year long. I love sitting on the screen porch watching storms come across the bay. Or watching a full moon rise over the water. Or watching the sparkle and dance of free water after the winter ice melts.
- There’s a lot to do right here – cross-country ski, skate, iceboat, swim, sail, kayak, paddleboard, bike, fish….
- Working in the office, fire blazing in the fireplace, looking up to see a fox hunting in the meadow. We are empty nesters now – this house is more than we need and our kids and grandchildren live in faraway places.
– Bill Dunnington
For more information about 52 Waterview or other properties in Greater Burlington, please contact Wade Weathers at email@example.com and Averill Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org from our Burlington office.