Here are our top ten reasons:
- Boston. Drive in or take the commuter rail, which gets you to Boston in under one hour. There are 18 convenient stops, with terminals in Newburyport and Cape Ann’s iconic Rockport.
- The Shore. The beaches, both private and public (Wingaersheek and Singing Beaches), are rated among the top on the North Shore.
- Great schools – both public and private – are available, from pre-school to universities.
- Large house lots offering privacy are easy to find.
- Lots of family events and activities.
- Great farmers markets. If you miss one, you can always catch another—there’s one every day of the week!
- The Best Restaurants, whether you are looking for fresh seafood, a local clam shack or a great steak house. If you want to explore, check out the North Shore dining guide. Our picks:
Best brunch: A&B Burgers. From steak and eggs to fabulous quiche with great ambience.
Best breakfast: The Ugly Mug Diner. Old school breakfast with a twist.
Best martini: Soma
Best sunset views: Mission on the Bay.
- Shopping. From one-of-a-kind boutique shops to healthy grocery stores, there are plenty of choices (see *below).
- Centrally located, near the beach but not far from mountains and city
What are the “best” towns on the North Shore?
Well, that depends on what you are looking for. Here are a few suggestions:
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Beverly, Essex, Gloucester, Marblehead, Nahant, Swampscott and Rockport.
For Horse/Farm Country
Property owners of lovely North Shore farms and equestrian properties in Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, and Topsfield have long employed LandVest’s marketing and conservation planning in the lovely rolling fields and woodlands of Myopia Hunt country.
For the Best Schools
- Masconomet Regional High – Boxford, Topsfield
- Manchester Essex Regional High – Manchester
- Hamilton-Wenham Regional High, South Hamilton
- Philips Academy, Andover
- Brooks School, North Andover
- The Governor’s Academy Endicott College, Byfield
- Monstserrat College of Art, Beverly
- Shore Country Day, Beverly
- Glen Urquhart School, Beverly
- Waring School, Beverly
- Cape Anne Waldorf School, Beverly
- Landmark School, Prides Crossing
- Brookwood School, Manchester
- Gordon College<, Wenham/li>
- Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Hamilton
- Pingree SchoolSouth Hamilton
For Close-To, or In-Town Living
- One-of-a-kind boutique shops. If you’ve had too much of the beach, come explore the boutiques in Newburyport. From specialty dog shops, candy stores, and gift shops to antiques, and clothing, there is plenty for all to see.
- Looking for healthy grocery shopping? Whole Foods is in Swampscott and Lynnfield, and is coming soon to Beverly! There are local farms and farmers markets that have fresh dairy and produce year-round.
- The Cheese Shop of Salem. It won the 2016 Best of Award!
- Butcher in Middletown: http://www.nshoremag.com/fooddrink/Middletons-Organic-Butcher-Shop/.
- Diamonds in Manchester-by-the-Sea: For the unique designs, Gladstone is your go-to jeweler on the North Shore.
Looking for a little culture? We picked a few of our favorite venues:
- Peabody Essex Museum
- Essex Shipbuilding Museum
- Peabody Essex Museum
- The Wenham Museum
- Rockport Music – Have you ever seen a show with a breathtaking backdrop of the Atlantic?
- Peabody Essex Museum. Yes, we know we’ve listed it three times. It’s so great, we don’t want you to miss it.
Looking for outdoor activities? Places to hike, ride your horse, or moor your boat?
- The Trustees of the Reservations
- Essex County Greenbelt Association
- Essex County Trail Association
- Myopia Hunt
- Bradley Palmer State Park
- Yacht Club
- Marblehead Yacht Club
- Corinthan Yacht Club
- Ledyard Farm
- Gathering Farm
- Manchester Yacht Club
- Manchester Athletic Club
- The Nahant Dory Club
- Nahant Sailing Program
- North Shore tide charts
- Nahant Country Club
- Whale watching from Gloucester Harbor
Whether you are looking for home on the waterfront, in the country, or are thinking about a dream home on a perfect parcel of land, we’ve got something for everyone. Want to get an insider’s tour or learn more about living on the North Shore? Call our Manchester-by-the-Sea office, they love to brag about their region.